Monday, August 28, 2006

Tokyo Heroes Playtest! (and a couple other things)

The playtest of Tokyo Heroes is now well under way. Last week we made characters and such, and this week was the first session. The players seemed to have had a good time, and I'm finding the results of all this incredibly useful. I've started a thread in the Forge's Playtesting forum about it. For this game I have a lot to think about and a lot to work on now.

I've also put the current draft of the rules online for people to peruse.

As a total side tangent, it's worth noting that Greg Costikyan and company recently got Manifesto Games up and running. This is the thing he's been talking about for a while, a site that sells quality independent computer games (so it's sort of the video game world's answer to IPR), and even though I really need to hold off spending money I'm sorely tempted to go buy some things.

The other day I had another random idea for a game that I probably won't get to for quite a while. Toon was the first RPG I ever bought, and not many people seem to notice that it was basically set up as a light, silly version of GURPS. This isn't inherently a bad thing, and the Toon-ified versions of Car Wars and CoC and whatnot in the Tooniversal Tour Guide book were actually really neat. But having been exposed to all this new indie stuff, I have to wonder what an indie take on Saturday morning cartoons would be like. The game idea I came up with was to do a game based around the sort of "predator vs. prey" cartoons, stuff like Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner or Tom and Jerry. And it occurs to me that I may have just come up with an idea for a CSI game. There would be two players, and while the predator character would pretty much always lose, the players would be competing, probably to be the ones who make the predator's failures more interesting. And it would be called something like "I Hate You: A Cartoon CSI Game For Two Good Friends." So, that goes right alongside Distorted Futures: A Dystopian Ass-Kicking RPG on the back burner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home